Friday, December 16, 2011

Mt. Fuji on Your Desktop - In Real Time

Until my next trip to Japan, I can make a little virtual trip via my desktop pc. Every day at around 3:00pm I navigate to the iGoogle homepage saved in my web browser and, thanks to modern technology, watch the sun rise on beautiful Mt. Fuji. Then at times throughout the rest of my work day, I check my virtual window on Japan to see how weather is faring for the area today.

How can I do this? Easy. With Mt. Fuji webcams! If you would like to try this, here are the steps:

1. Register to get a free Google email address.

2. Get your own iGoogle homepage. http://www.google.com/ig

3. You can customize it all kinds of ways. Click Change Theme to start.

4. Next click Add Gadgets.

5. Type Fujiyama in the Search for Gadgets text box on the right.

6. Click the Add it Now button for this item: Mt. FUJIYAMA Live Camera from Lake Kawaguchiko, Japan (this image updates every 60 seconds)

7. If you wish, you had add a second one too: Mt. FUJIYAMA Live Camera from Lake Yamanakako, Japan (this image updates every 180 seconds)

8. When you’re done adding gadgets, click Back to iGoogle home.

These are both still-image live webcams. Each webcam provides a different perspective of Mt. Fuji. I like both of them, but the Lakeside Hotel webcam is my long time favorite. I have viewed this one almost every day for over four years now. It operates perfectly, day and night. To my knowledge, it has never been out of order -- not even once!

If you’re interested, try out one or both of these webcams for yourself. If you have other favorite Japan webcams, let us know.

1 comment:

  1. Cool. I have to try this. I've always heard about Mt. Fuji, but have never seen it, nor have I ever seen an authentic Japanese sunrise.

    ReplyDelete