Sunday, November 13, 2011

Japanese Music Video (w/English Translation): Shujinkou by Masashi Sada


Shujinkou by Masashi Sada

Tokiniwa omoide iki no gaidobukku ni makase
Sometimes, in memory of the destination, I just follow the guidebook
Anokoro to iu na no eki de orite
The station named "That Time" is where I get off and
Mukashi doori wo aruku
"Avenue of the Past" is where I go walking
Itsumo no terasu niwa mada toki no nagaori ga sukoshi
In the usual terrace, some of that time still remains a little
Metoro no eki no mae niwa rokuju-ni-ban no basu
In front of Metro Station, bus number 62
Puratanasu namiki no furui hiroba to gakusei darake no machi
The lines of platanus trees, the old plaza, and so many students all over the town
Soieba anata no fuku no moyo sae oboeteru
Speaking of that, your clothing, the patterns in it, I still remember
Anata no mabushii egao to tomodachi no waraigoe ni
In your flashing smile and a friend's laughter
Dakarete watashi wa itsudemo kanarazu kirameiteita
That so embraced me, I must have been always shining.

Aruiwa moshimo da nante anata wa kiratta kedo
Otherwise, perhaps, you didn't like a saying like that
Toki wo sakanoboru chiketto ga areba hoshiku naru toki ga aru
Sometimes, I wonder, if I could have a ticket to go back in time, would I take it
Asoko no wakaremichi de erabi naoseru naratte
At that fork, I wonder if I would choose it again
Mochiron ima no watashi wo kanashimu tsumori wa nai
Of course, I have no intention to deplore myself now
Tashika ni jibun de eranda ijou seiippai ikiru
Because it was exactly what I chose, I do my best to live with it
So de nakya anata ni totemo totemo hazukashii kara
And since you'd be so embarrassed with me if I didn't
Anata wa oshiete kureta chiisana monogatari demo
You taught me this, even if it is a simple little story
Jibun no jinsei no naka dewa daremo ga mina shujinko
In one's life, everyone has a big role to play
Tokiori omoide no naka de anata wa sasete kudasai
Once in a while in these memories, won't you please sustain me
Watashi no jinsei no naka dewa watashi ga shujinko dato
By saying I am the one playing the lead role in my life.


The setting of this song is a memory of school days in the Ochanomizu vicinity of Tokyo, which includes the JR train station. This vicinity used to have quite a few colleges and other schools around, but lots of them have moved to the suburbs. My high school was near this area, so the scenes described in this song make me miss the good old days as I recall my memories of that area.

Sada has been performing in other Asian nations, hoping this would be appreciated by his non-Japanese fans. This is his classic, and the biggest favorite among his fans.

For those of who don't know who he is, Sada is a singer-songwriter from the 70's. There was a time when he was treated as a "wuss" since his songs are so sensitive. I think that as time went by people started to recognize the simple fact that he has a real skill of using Japanese words. Not so much in this song, but he uses a lot of words we no longer use in regular conversation.

Sorry, all of my favorite Japanese music are older classics! I'm not updated at all...
If you are interested, please request a song for this voiceover + translation material. Please be aware that the song is relatively slow, though. You can probably catch the words.

No comments:

Post a Comment