Saturday, October 22, 2011

Soogi's Story (2) Annex: Sword Fighting Demonstrations

Soogi's Story (2) Annex - Sword Fighting Demonstrations

Here's the videos to see sword fighting nowadays. They do not use real swords, by the way.

The first one is Jigen-ryu (Jigen style) demonstration. The style or school of Satsuma samurai's. The Jigen-ryu style and other traditional styles of sword fighting are still preserved. This demonstration was dedicated to the Kashima shrine that says in the video's caption.

Jigen-ryu demonstration

The second one is current and common style of sword fighting, Kendo. This is a match. In Kendo, the
fighters wear protection gear such as masks and gloves. There are quite a few Kendo Dojo (kendo schools) in the U.S.

  Kendo match

More about Jigenryu in Wiki.
More about Kendo in Wiki.

++++++

2 comments:

  1. Ah, I do love the discipline of a Martial Art. This is one thing I really admire the Japanese and Asians in general for; their strength in discipline. The only thing about it I'm not in to is the loud "empowering" yells. I'm naturally quiet and didn't enjoy doing it much when I was taking karate lessons either. But that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is the yelling a requirement? I've never learned any martial art but, yeah, lots of martial art people do the yelling. It seems to me that makes their breathing and empowering timing easier but I don't think you have to do it if you don't feel comfortable. There must have been quiet fighters.
    But I believe some teachers love the students to yell, don't they? I hope you like karate and the yelling won't discourage your enjoyment!

    Thank you for the comment!

    ReplyDelete